[PySide] LGPL licensing obligations

David Ching dc at dcsoft.com
Wed Jan 11 01:33:45 CET 2023

Hello,

I am preparing to deploy an application which has a dependency on Qt for
Python, which I am licensing under the LGPL license.  I have not found any
specific documentation on how to do this.  In the Qt Licensing FAQ at
https://www.qt.io/faq/tag/qt-open-source-licensing?hsLang=en, it says:

"You will need to deliver the complete source code of Qt libraries you used,
including all modifications you did or applied, to your users/customers.
Alternatively, you need to provide a written offer with instructions on how
to get the source code. Please also note that this has to be under your
control, so a link to the source code provided by the Qt Project or Qt
Company is not sufficient."

How would I distribute the source code to "Qt for Python"?  Is that even
available?  I just install the pyside6 wheel, I've never dealt with any
source code for the Python Qt wrappers.

In addition to whatever source code I need for "Qt for Python", do I also
need to deliver the Qt C++ code available at
https://www.qt.io/offline-installers?  I am using Nuitka to bundle and
distribute the app, and modules like QT6GUI.DLL are included in the bundle.
Do I need to distribute the C++ source to QtGui?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

-- David