[PySide] Flatpak creation

matterhorn103 matterhorn103 at proton.me
Sat Feb 10 23:18:43 CET 2024

Hi all,

Till now I have only used pyinstaller for distribution of PySide apps, but I would like to use primarily Flatpak in the future. I can't find anything in the way of documentation for how to do this, only a few examples on various forums of people struggling to make it work.

Are there any plans to develop an easy way for developers to deploy PySide6 Flatpaks?

PyQt for example provides a "BaseApp" on Flathub that simplifies the creation of Flatpaks of PyQt apps by bundling the bindings and so on. (Electron apps are supported by a similar "BaseApp".) In combination with the org.kde.Platform runtime for Qt and other libraries this means deployment of a PyQt app as a Flatpak is pretty simple, see https://develop.kde.org/docs/getting-started/python/pyqt-flatpak/ this example from KDE. I prefer to use PySide – is there any chance of a similar sort of tool being made for PySide6?

Alternatively, pyside6-deploy and Nuitka seem pretty useful for making performant binaries and I wonder if something similar could be made available for use in flatpak-builder and Flathub deployment.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Matt