[QBS] Aliases in QBS - first prototype

Tomasz Siekierda sierdzio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 12:16:16 CET 2012

> opinions?
Why not allow both approaches?

Aliases might be not that needed in build tools, true, but I think of
it as a nice convenience functionality. For example, in my global git
config, I've set up an alias "c=commit", and "a=add .". I am
committing a lot, so writing one letter instead of 6 is handy. Better
to have an option and not use it, than not have it at all, IMO.

> this is a rather fragile approach. you have no protection against
> multiple expansions (and you can't even really take advantage of that
> either, because the expansion order is pretty arbitrary, depending on
> how the keys fall out of the config).
Yes, I'm a bit worried about that too. I had several ideas on how to
implement this, and this one turned out to be potentially powerful,
while also being very easy to implement. Think about it as a feature,
not a bug ;) Obviously, I'm not saying it has to go into qbs - you
decide. At least there is something already done and open to heavy
criticism :)

Cheers,
sierdzio