[QBS] External modules

Ruslan Nigmatullin EuroElessar at yandex.ru
Thu Sep 6 13:26:13 CEST 2012

Firstly, to minimize size of sources we introduced CommonModule with such syntax:

CommonModule {
    frameworkName: "qca"
    pkgConfigName: "qca2"
    libraryNames: ["qca", "qca2"]
    includeNames: ["qca.h"]
    includeSuffix: "QtCrypto"
}

It looks ugly, but covers most of usecases. As you see module name ("qca") doesn't contain all needed information for package lookup as it's library/framework/pkg-config name may vary and differ from module's one. Internally CommonModule contains several Probe's (Framework, PkgConfig, Library, Include) so it's too hard to implement the same logic for _every_ small module.

Secondly, we've implemented little part of kde's module, but it requires to ask "kde4-config" utility about paths for every submodule. It doesn't change during one execution of program, so may be there should be an mechanism to cache some values? May be some way to write result to session-life container, which would be shared between all modules? Proposed syntaxes:

var includePath;
if (!qbs.cache.contains("kde4-include")) {
    includePath = someHeavyFunction();
    qbs.cache.insert("kde4-include", includePath);
} else {
    includePath = qbs.cache.value("kde4-include");
}

Or this one:

var includePathCache = qbs.cache("kde4-include");
if (includePathCache.value === undefined)
    includePathCache.value = someHeavyFunction();
var includePath = includePathCache.value;

Or this one:

var includePath = qbs.cache("kde4-include", someHeavyFunction);

Or even introduce Cache element:

Cache {
    property string includePath: someHeavyFunction()
}

Any ideas?

Ruslan