[QBS] Framework creation

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at nokia.com
Mon Sep 10 12:46:16 CEST 2012

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 12:28:39PM +0200, ext Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> On 09/09/2012 16:35, ext Алексей Сидоров wrote:
>
> > Need a commn way to create frameworks whethever Unix libraries with pkgconfig
> > files or MacosX Frameworks.
> > I think it requires a module that I knew would be the right way to install the
> > public headers,
> > private headers, resource files, and which can add a version string and
> > description of framework.
>
> I think you can enhance share/qbs/imports/qbs/base/DynamicLibrary.qbs or
> just add a Framework.qbs there and derive StaticLibrary, DynamicLibrary
> and Framework from a common library item.

a framework is just a weird way to build a shared library. it's
counterproductive to require the user to have a separate product for
that.

> WRT the install location of headers, I like your latter proposal best,
> because its more explicit where which header get installed to.

that's exactly the wrong way around. the build tool needs to *hide* that
fact. it needs to come with a sufficiently rich set of abstract resource
names which are automatically installed to the right places, depending
on operating system/packaging conventions.