[QBS] Customization for Embedded platforms that has no OS.

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Mon Jul 22 11:35:15 CEST 2013

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 10:39:01AM +0200, Christian Kandeler wrote:
> On 07/21/2013 03:20 PM, Denis Shienkov wrote:
> > I had an idea to use a pair of QBS + QtCreator for creation of projects
> > for Embedded devices
> > which have no OS.
>
> I find it hard to believe that there is "no OS" -

what a lack of imagination.

> the device has to boot into *something*, and that something would
> constitute an operating system. Perhaps you mean "no mainstream OS"?

actually, no. there is *no* os. we are talking about 8-bit
microcontrollers with 2kb of ROM and 128 bytes (!) of RAM in the minimal
configuration.

> > 2. What you can give recommendations for implementation?
>
> What you need is basically the addition of a new toolchain module to
> support your compiler.

it's not really a different type of toolchain.
it's a normal x-build gcc with a (rather minimal) sysroot (typically
hard-wired into the executable).
one speciality is that after linking the executable there is a
post-processing step that produces a ROM image.
so basically, this thing would be a derivation of the Cpp module
(actually, plain C is "a tad" more appropriate), and add a new target
type AvrImage or something like that.