[QBS] Qbs Roadmap

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Sat Jun 1 11:46:09 CEST 2013

Am Freitag, den 31.05.2013, 17:39 +0200 schrieb Joerg Bornemann:
> On 31/05/2013 14:29, Jochen Becher wrote:
>
> > in my company we are currently trying to switch from Visual Studio with
> > Qt plugin to QtCreator. We were running into some conceptional problems
> > with qmake so we are currently looking into Qbs as an alternative.
>
> Just out of curiosity, could you tell us what these conceptional
> problems are in detail?

1. qmake / jom is much slower than Visual Studio build
2. Integration of Incredibuild with qmake is much slower than Visual
Studio (each (library) linkage serializes the build process and we have
about 90 libraries/executables in our largest solution so it gets
unacceptable slow)
3. jom (and nmake) do not reload the make files after it has been
changed by an embedded qmake run. One has to start qmake manually after
each change in any .pro file.
4. No virtual folder for projects or source files are possible with
qmake (we fixed that partly with a patch to QtCreator and some
extra .pro files we introduced which do something similar to virtual
solution folders in Visual Studio)

> > We understand that Qbs' integration into QtCreator is still not ready
> > for daily use (e.g. because of issue QBS-19 and others) so I would like
> > to know if there is any detailed roadmap of Qbs for the next months.
>
> QBS-19 (add possibility to add files to qbs projects in Qt Creator) is
> just about adding files via right-mouse click and a context menu. You
> can add files by directly editing the project file of course.

Of course. But we cannot expect our developers to prefer QtCreator over
Visual Studio if wizards do not work as usual. We have built our own
QtCreator wizards adopted to our developer environment (the new wizards
do a lot more than the standard ones). We need the possibility to add
projects, products, groups and files in a flexible way before we can
switch to qbs.

> The roadmap can be viewed in JIRA. It is reachable via the main project
> page https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QBS
> There are the planned future versions visible. Every accepted issue got
> a version assigned to it that indicates when they are supposed to be fixed.

Thank you, I will look into this.

Best Regards, Jochen