[QBS] How to resolve dependencies on generated header files

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Thu Aug 7 11:45:18 CEST 2014

Hi,

my question related to QBS release post at
http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2014/05/05/qbs-1-2-0-released/

> Qbs now supports rules with a flexible number of outputs.  For example,
> you may write an IDL file containing the descriptions of several C++
> interfaces. An interface compiler generates a number of header files. The
> generated header files are automatically taken into account as potential
> dependencies.

I stumbled over the word *automatically*. I know how to write custom
transformation rules in modules to generate header files, but I do not
understand how the generated header files would magically appear in
cpp.includePaths.

>From what I understand, I would have to define an extra product for
generated header files which anoher product can then depend on [1] or I
could use a fixed output folder, where all generated files are written to.
This output folder is then explicitly added to cpp.includePath. The latter
is done for ui files in [2] as well.

[1] http://lists.qt-project.org/pipermail/qbs/2013-December/000591.html
[2]
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-labs/qbs/source/src/lib/qtprofilesetup/templates/gui.qbs