[QBS] qbs & qt creator

Kurt Keller kk at parity-software.com
Thu May 22 17:04:28 CEST 2014

Am Donnerstag, den 22.05.2014
schrieb Christian Kandeler <christian.kandeler at digia.com>:

> On 05/22/2014 04:43 PM, Kurt Keller wrote:
> > Am Donnerstag, den 22.05.2014
> > schrieb Christian Kandeler <christian.kandeler at digia.com>:

> >> In Qt Creator 3.2 we will include the qbs command-line frontend, so
> >> such workarounds shouldn't be necessary anymore.

> >> Should not happen. Are you sure you are using the same build
> >> directory?
> >
> > Yes I can see it on the modification time of the file
> > 'qtc_qt53-debug.bg'. When I build with Qt Creator the time changes and
> > when I build with qbs from shell the time on this file changes also.
> >
> > Maybe the reason is, that both configurations are using different
> > module- and plugin directories? (although the modules and plugins are
> > the same)
>
> Well, the fact that you had to copy module files around strongly
> suggests that. After all, Creator worked without that step,so it must
> pick these files up from somewhere else.
> Is this a self-compiled Creator or did you download it in binary form?

This is a self-compiled Creator. After installing with

  jom install INSTALL_ROOT=...../qtdevenv-5.3

it had the qbs modules in .../qtdevenv-5.3/share/qtcreator/qbs/share/qbs
and the plugins in .../qtdevenv-5.3/lib/qtcreator/qbs. From there I copied
the files to the places where shell-qbs expects it. So Creator uses

  .../qtdevenv-5.3/share/qtcreator/qbs/share/qbs
  .../qtdevenv-5.3/lib/qtcreator/qbs

and shell-qbs uses

  .../qtdevenv-5.3/share/qbs
  .../qtdevenv-5.3/lib/qbs

And to be clear: If I build with Creator twice - the second build is
optimized, i.e. only modified files are build in this case.
Same with shell-qbs: building twice - first build is maybe full, second
creates only the modified files.
Only if I build first with shell-qbs and than with Creator (or vice versa)
there is no optimisation and ALL files are build.

--
Kurt.