[QBS] Linking inter-dependent libraries using gcc

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Mon Aug 10 13:53:58 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 01:10:33PM +0300, Ilya Lyubimov wrote:
> oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com>:

> > > This case is what I have in my project. I could solve this by writing a
> > > rule for merging two libraries by hand. But I think qbs must provide
> > > built-in tool for this.
> > >
> > i disagree. no software needs to support every braindead requirement.
> > and circular dependencies are beyond braindead.
> >

> So you offer not to use such libraries? What if they contain millions of
> lines of useful code? This is very common problem in unix world.

the primary recourse is to complain to the vendor to fix their garbage.
if you have the sources, you can either
- build all of them as a single library or
- split them sanely into more libraries
in a rather easy way.
if you don't have the sources, you can still use either solution by
repacking the objects (as part of the project build or outside), which
is what you suggested yourself iiuc.
for a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place, a hard and hacky
"solution" is just the right treatment.