[Qbs] Qbs and QtC status

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 23:38:47 CEST 2017

On 7 June 2017 at 20:30, Christian Kandeler <christian.kandeler at qt.io> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Jun 2017 15:01:16 +1200
> Christian Gagneraud <chgans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Basically, my question is when do you think i will be able to use
>> Qbs+QtC and be able to do these in a GUI friendly way:
>> - Create a brand new project
>
> Most "new project" wizards are build tool agnostic these days. Do you have a specific example?

You cannot create "complex" projects from scratch, something like the
equivalent of "empty qmake project", "subdir project", ...

I've just went through the "New project" dialog/wizard (Official
OpenSource QtC 4.3 for Windows), and here is the list of project
template that allows you or not to choose your build system:

Application:
- Qt Widget: KO
- Qt Console: OK
- Qt Quick: OK
- Qt Quick control 2: OK
- Qt Canvas 3D: OK

Library:
- C++ library: KO
- Qt Quick2 extension plugin: KO
- Qt Creator plugin: KO

Other:
- Qt unit test: KO
- Qt Custom designer widget: KO
- Qt quick UI prototype: KO
- Auto test project: OK
- Subdirs project: KO
- Empty qmake project: KO
- code snippet: KO

Non-Qt project:
- C app: OK
- C++ app: OK

>> - Add a app/test/lib/plugin to a "big" project
>
> Right. You might want to create a task in JIRA if there isn't one yet.

I will have a look into this.

>> - run/debug/analyse on Windows/Linux desktop and remote Linux device
>
> I am not aware of any build tool specific differences here. Can you explain what you mean?
>
>> - Manage a complex build matrix for a large set of different embedded
>> systems (Product/CPU/Toolchain/(Linux)OS)
>
> What is the problem there at the moment?

I don't think there is a problem atm, i just wanted to give a list of
features I would need if i wanted to showcase Qtc and Qbs.

Chris