[Qbs] The case for *not* using Qbs

Christian Gagneraud chgans at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 04:18:44 CEST 2017

Hi all,

This is a friendly email, about something that i recently realised:
Wide adoption of Qbs is limited by IDE support of Qbs.

The case I have is:
Our code base has 1 reference build system, and this is MSVC (and it
sucks!). Since our products (not Qbs product, my company's product) runs
on embedded Linux, the second build system used is qmake (we have a
python script that kind-of parse MSVC solution/projects, and puke qmake
files). Since the python script sucks too, some people have added
support for CMake. And now there's me: I am/was considering adding
support for Qbs.

Why Qbs cannot win over CMake? The answer is IDE support for the build
system.

Apparently Visual Studio and Visual Code (works on Linux too!) now both
support CMake in place of msvc, when (if it happens) will they support Qbs?

I have co-worker who use Linux every-day, but yet they prefer Visual
Code over QtC, and visual code doesn't support Qbs, at this stage there
is no point in trying to push for Qbs, for this very simple reason

Any thoughts?

Chris