[Qbs] qbs and custom toolchain

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at qt.io
Wed Jan 17 10:28:03 CET 2018

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:19:47 +0100
Magnus Andersson <magnus.anderssons at gmail.com> wrote:

> My company uses a custom C-compiler, assembler and linker. Their command
> line interfaces are radically different from gcc, as and ld.
>
> Can we still use Qbs? Is writing a cpp module sufficient?

Yes and yes.

> If not, can you please point me to some documentation on how to define a custom toolchain?

Writing your own cpp module *is* defining a custom toolchain (plus making up some value for qbs.toolchain). The existing implementations (e.g. GenericGcc.qbs) should provive some guidance. Feel free to ask for advice on the details here or on IRC.
The only potential problem that I can think of is that we might inadvertantly assume a fixed list of toolchain types somewhere; let us know if you run into something like that and we will fix it.

Christian

PS: I assume "custom" means "developed and used exclusively in-house". If not, you might want to upstream the module.