[Qbs] Future of Qbs

Lars Knoll lars.knoll at qt.io
Wed Nov 7 08:31:02 CET 2018

Hi all,

Let me follow up on this now that everybody had a bit time to digest things. Hopefully, we can move the discussion into a constructive direction on how to move forward. I’ll have to switch a bit between my Chief Maintainer and CTO hat in the below, I hope that’s ok.

It’s correct to state that Qbs has been developed fully by The Qt Company in the past. Now we are in a situation, where The Qt Company has said that they will not invest into the technology anymore in the long term. Fortunately that doesn’t imply an immediate stop of all work.

The Qt Company will be supporting Qbs for another year. This includes doing one feature release that wraps up what has been developed so far some time in Winter/Spring and also supporting it in Qt Creator for at least that time.

I think this also gives us a chance to do a proper handover to the community if we can find some people who are interested in helping with maintaining the technology. From The Qt Company’s perspective, we’d be glad to help with this transition effort. Let’s try to find out, what’s needed to make such a handover a success

From a qt-project perspective, I am happy to keep Qbs here and provide all the infrastructure required. This includes hosting the code on codereview, bug tracking through our Jira, testing in the CI system and having some landing page/domain where people can find info on qbs.

As long as we have a maintainer, I also do not see a larger problem in keeping the Qbs support in Qt Creator.

Of course, we don’t need to have a new maintainer immediately, we have some time to see who would step up. But it would be great if we could find a new maintainer (or several maintainers) during next year.

Cheers,
Lars