[Qbs] External Dependencies

Иван Комиссаров abbapoh at gmail.com
Tue May 14 23:34:13 CEST 2019

Let me use Cpp module as example.
We have macos-gcc.qbs:

DarwinGCC {
    priority: 1
    condition: qbs.targetOS.contains('macos') &&
               qbs.toolchain && qbs.toolchain.contains('gcc')
}

And we have UnixGCC.qbs:

GenericGCC {
    priority: -50
    condition: qbs.toolchain && qbs.toolchain.contains("gcc")
}

Both conditions are true on macOS, so we will try loading only macos-gcc since it has higher priority.
If loading it fails, we’re done here (which is perfectly reasonable for the cpp module), we won’t try loading UnixGCC.

I suggest adding something like

DarwinGCC {
    recover: true
}

So Qbs will try to load next module with lower priority (UnixGCC).

For real-world example, like zlib, the chain can be like «try pkg-config, if it fails, try detecting via probes».

The goal is to have something like this on the client-side:
Depends { name: "zlib"; minimumVersion: "1.2.3.4" }

Not this:
Depends { name: «zlib.pkgconfig"; minimumVersion: «1.2.3.4»; required: false }
Depends { name: «zlib.probes"; condition: !zlib.pkgconfig.found; minimumVersion: «1.2.3.4"; required: false }