[Qbs] Install/Depends resolution changed from qbs 1.12.2 to qbs 1.13.0?

Jochen Becher jochen_becher at gmx.de
Tue May 28 21:42:02 CEST 2019

Am Montag, den 20.05.2019, 08:34 +0000 schrieb Christian Kandeler:
> On Mon, 20 May 2019 09:01:02 +0200
> Richard Weickelt <richard at weickelt.de> wrote:
>
> > > Oh yeah, it has been an unsatisfying surprise that default
> > > installation
> > > prefix changed from empty string to "usr/local/" on Linux. All
> > > builds
> > > are broken, all scripts working on the results are broken. Not
> > > hardcoding is not an option when it comes to CI integration etc.
> > >
> > > Next time I will be happy if such a change is announced in
> > > capital
> > > letters.
> >
> > This was also an unpleasant surprise for me. Note that
> > https://doc.qt.io/qbs/qml-qbsmodules-qbs.html#installPrefix-prop
> > does not
> > reflect this change.
>
> That's an oversight.
>
> > Thus, instead of going over the docs, I'd rather like
> > to set installPrefix back to undefined on all platforms for Qbs
> > 1.13.1.
> >
> > Anything that speaks against that?
>
> I think it is sensible to have proper default values. It also helps
> making the install prefix concept more visible, so users won't so
> easily make the mistake of putting e.g. /usr/local into the install
> dir.

You are right - it is absolutely sensible to have proper default
values. I vote for an empty string as default value for installPrefix
:)

In my opinion it makes absolutely no sense to add a /usr/local to the
standard install-dir within target folder. Just two more sub
directories within the already long path.

But I would accept this change if it just will not break all my build
settings. With version >=1.0 the Qbs should take care of backwards
compatibility. If there is really a need to break it you should
increase the major version AND announce the change very clearly.

Regards, Jochen