[Qbs] Module adding source files to a project

Alberto Mardegan mardy at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Nov 27 17:34:22 CET 2019

Hi there!
  I'd like to write a QBS module to package Linux applications into the
AppImage format. This is a format in which the all application's files
(and non-trivial dependencies) are packed into a single executable file,
which, when executed, unpacks the application data by mounting into a
squashfs filesystem and then executes the application's main binary.

The trick here is how to create the "loader" part of the binary: the
AppImage project provides the source code, which consists of a C file
[1] and all of its dependencies (a slightly modified version of
libsquashfs, and a few other utility files), but it's not clear to me on
what would be the best way to bring these files into one's project.

Should the AppImageKit repository (or only the parts needed for building
the runtime.c file) be imported into the QBS repository (maybe added as
a git submodule)? Or should we fetch the sources at runtime?

Do we have examples of other modules having similar requirements?

Ciao,
  Alberto

[1]: https://github.com/AppImage/AppImageKit/blob/master/src/runtime.c

--