[Qbs] Binary stripping

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at gmx.de
Wed Apr 15 15:35:12 CEST 2020

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:28:17AM +0200, Christian Kandeler wrote:
>On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 22:49:48 +0300 Alberto Mardegan
><mardy at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>> Is there a reason why "strip" is not invoked when in release mode?
>
>This has come up before, and I vaguely remember there was some counter argument, but I don't kow anymore what it was.

the only reason not to run strip if no debug info is wanted would be if
the unnecessary sections were not generated in the first place (note
that iirc strip removes a bit more than the debug info, but these other
sections are small).

>Anyway, qmake, I believe, runs strip for mingw only (perhaps because of
>the extreme code size issues mentioned above?).

strip is not necessary with msvc, as the debug info is separate anyway.
in other cases, it should run strip if the mkspec defines a command and
the build type asks for it. note that this is an *install* time feature,
so in-builddir-deployment never strips.
there are release_with_debuginfo builds, which obviously don't want
stripping (note the separate_debug_info mode, though).