[Qbs] Using QBS with an nonexistent $HOME

Wookey wookey at wookware.org
Sat Feb 29 17:17:10 CET 2020

On 2020-02-29 09:05 +0300, Alberto Mardegan wrote:
> Hi there!
>   I'm trying to build a Debian/Ubuntu package of a QBS project in
> launchpad.net; the site uses sbuild, which has the peculiarity of
> setting "HOME=/sbuild-nonexistent".
>
> I'm stuck at the step "qbs setup-qt", which fails with this error:
>
> Setting up Qt profile 'qt5' failed: Cannot create directory
> '/sbuild-nonexistent/.config/QtProject/qbs/1.10.1/profiles/qt5/modules/Qt'.
>
> Adding the "--system" option to QBS doesn't seem to help. I guess I
> could workaround the issue by setting HOME=$PWD, but this partially
> defeats the point of using sbuild.
>
> Is there a better way to solve this? I'm especially curious, because the
> step "setup-toolchains" doesn't seem to be affected by this issue.

I have written a wiki page about using QBS to build debian packages:
https://wiki.debian.org/Qbs

I deal with QBS's desire to store a profile in the home directory by setting
--settings-dir to either /tmp (potential security risk as other can change your build/config) or --settings-dir $(CURDIR)/debian for package builds.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/