[Qbs] Using QBS with an nonexistent $HOME

Иван Комиссаров abbapoh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 23:40:49 CET 2020

That’s a very interesting article!

However, I’ve noticed a strange thing.

The doc [0] says that CPPFLAGS variable is the "Options for the C preprocessor» which means this variable should map to cpp.cppFlags, not to cpp.commonCompilerFlags
This also means that duplicated values passed as cpp.cFlags and cpp.cxxFlags could be passed once as cpp.commonCompilerFlags (with the assumption that Debian applications don't use ObjectiveC a lot)

[0] https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dpkg-dev/dpkg-buildflags.1.en.html <https://manpages.debian.org/testing/dpkg-dev/dpkg-buildflags.1.en.html>

Regarding profiles - strictly speaking, they are not mandatory, if gcc/clang can be found in PATH, one can build by simply invoking «qbs build qbs.toolchainType:gcc» / «qbs build qbs.toolchainType:clang» respectively (and passing all options on the command line). The first invocation is the same as «qbs build» on Linux since qbs.toolchainType is «gcc» on Linux by default. However, profiles might be an easier way to do a setup, your approach with «debian» profile is OK too - profiles are simply a «bag» of properties and are designed to avoid huge command line invocations

Regarding clean rule - what if we add an extra option to qbs clean like «qbs clean --all» that will remove the *.bg file (build graph) as well? Will that be more convenient?