[Qbs] Why was protobuf.outputDir removed

Иван Комиссаров abbapoh at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:41:14 CEST 2020

Hello, Kai

First of all, the property was not removed but was made «private» and is now called _outputDir. You can still override it or read it.

The reason why it was removed is that I didn’t see valid use-cases for that.

For example, to export include paths you should do something like that:

StaticLibrary {
    Depends { name: «protobuf.cpp» }
    Export {
         Depends { name: «protobuf.cpp» } // this should export protobuf.cpp properties, including cpp.IncludePath

However, your second use-case (installation) is totally new to me and it seems that you need to read this property.
Unless someone can suggest a better solution, feel free to upload a patch to return the property.
You might also want to assign custom tags for generated files (e.g. «proto_hpp», «proto_cpp») to make filtering more fine-grained and avoid overlapping with other headers.

Ivan