[Qbs] Library- and Include-Probe for msys GCC on the example of the protobuf module

Björn Schäpers qt-maillist at hazardy.de
Tue Jul 20 21:07:04 CEST 2021

Hi there,

my setup is msys2 gcc in 64 and 32 bit, a from msys installed protobuf, and a
self compiled qbs. The protobuf module does not find the header or the
libraries, it seems the search path is just empty, and for the libraries it
looks for the wrong files. It searches protobuf.lib, but the file is named
libprotobuf.a.

I have prepared a patch, with which the protobuf examples compile and run:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qbs/qbs/+/358698 my colleagues tells me for
gRPC there are some additional libraries missing, but that's another point.

There is little feedback on the patch, only that I could set the paths in my
project file. Yes I could, but in my opinion it should work out of the box with
a msys setup. But the wrong library names and suffixes I can not fix in my
project file, or can I?

So my questions are:
1. Should it be fixed in qbs itself, or do I have to make a fork?
2. Should it be fixed in the protobuf module, or the probes itself?

Greetings,
Björn.