[Qbs] Failed build the project with QBS 1.22.1

Richard Weickelt richard at weickelt.de
Tue May 3 17:15:55 CEST 2022

Hi,

> My old version works with replacing 'product' on 'exportingProduct':
>
>     property var exportIncludePaths: [
>          "./",
>          "./shared",
>      ]
>      cpp.includePaths: exportIncludePaths
>
>      Export {
>          Depends { name: "cpp" }
>          cpp.includePaths: exportingProduct.exportIncludePaths
>      }

I am not sure whether you have it working or not. Above pattern works on my
end at least.

> According to link https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qbs/qbs/+/383049 there
> was a change in the definition for variable 'product' inside the section
> 'Export'. Maybe then you need to display some message in the log about a
> change in behavior?

It was a deliberate decision. The topic was first mentioned in:

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qbs/qbs.git/tree/changelogs/changes-1.18.0.md

The "product" variable in Export items was scheduled for removal in the 1.20
release. The re-introduction of "product", but now as an alias of
"importingProduct" has been mentioned in:

https://code.qt.io/cgit/qbs/qbs.git/tree/changelogs/changes-1.22.0.md

> I now have all the projects at work will fall down.
> People will come to me and say: "Your 'QBS' doesn't work" (I promote the use
> of QBS at my firm).
> Can generally prohibit the use of variable 'product' in section 'Export',
> lag behind only 'importingProduct' and 'exportingProduct'? Display a message
> about this in the log.

I am sorry to hear that this change creates inconvenience for you. What
would you suggest to improve in case we have to do such a breaking change again?

Don't take critics of colleagues personally. You know the problem, you can
help fixing the problem, everybody will be happy. People complain every day
and have already forgotten about it the other day.

Cheers
Richard