[Qbs] Windows 11 & (major|minor)-subsystem-version

Björn Schäpers qt-maillist at hazardy.de
Tue Apr 11 21:31:08 CEST 2023

Am 10.04.2023 um 23:21 schrieb Иван Комиссаров:
> Maybe the fix is trivial after all
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qbs/qbs/+/471291
>
> Can someone verify this on Win7?
>
> Ivan
>
>> 10 апр. 2023 г., в 23:31, Иван Комиссаров <ABBAPOH at gmail.com> написал(а):
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> Someone reported an issue a while ago and I created a ticked just yesterday
>> in order to to not forget it.
>> https://bugreports.qt.io/projects/QBS/issues/QBS-1724
>>
>> I suppose, the issue was introduced by this patch
>> https://codereview.qt-project.org/c/qbs/qbs/+/459921 which was an attempt to
>> fix Qbs build with mingw - mingw headers are broken in a way that the old
>> value leaded to incorrect macros in Windows.h
>>
>> If you find a way to fix Qbs build and actual binaries, you’re welcome to
>> submit a patch.
>>
>> Note that CMake sets (major|minor)-subsystem-version to 0 (unconditionally?)
>> when building for mingw.
>> Maybe you can set those to 0 for _linking_ while setting the correct
>> WINVER/whatever macro Qbs sets for _compiling_.
>>
>> Also, this should be fixed by mingw upstream - otherwise those flags are useless.
>>
>> Ivan

Unfortunately I've no access to Windows 7 anymore, so I can't help you.

As to the fix, I don't think we need to set the minimum windows version lower,
we just don't need to use --major-subsystem-version and
--minor-subsystem-version. Everything else is working fine.
Note: I couldn't fine any meaning full values for the subsystem version, except
for minimum and default:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/reference/subsystem-specify-subsystem?view=msvc-170
While it may be reasonable to think they match the windows version, there is no
statement to that and note that the "Posix" subsystem has a default value of 19.90.

Kind regards,
Björn.