[Qt-creator] Remote compile / build support

Andre Poenitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri May 15 00:25:33 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 10:17:20AM +0200, Liebe Markus (RtP2/TEF72) wrote:
> Is there any kind of remote build support in qt creator?

No(t yet).

> In our development department we a have a central host which is used
> to compile our projects.  Each developer has a workstation and a
> checked out working directory.  The working directory resides in a
> network directory which is available on the build host as well.  Our
> current IDE is able to configure several build hosts. So upon
> compilation the IDE connects to the build host and builds the project
> there. The build output is available in the IDE, is clickable etc.
> The workstation can either be a windows or linux machine. The host is
> a linux machine with the necessary libs and build environment
> installed.
>
> Our goal is to achieve something similar using QtCreator: - We want to
> be able to configure several build hosts.  - When we start building,
> we want not to build local but to connect to one of the configured
> build hosts and run qmake/make etc. there.
>
> Do you know of any way how to achieve this with the current QtCreator?
> Are there any plans to implement a feature like this?  What would be
> the best way to integrate a feature like this by ourselfs? Would that
> be via separete build steps or a overridden make command? Or should it
> rather be a plugin or something?

It's conceptionally fairly straight-forward, instead of starting qmake
and make etc using QProcess locally you'd use 'ssh user at host command'.
Implementation would be less straight-forward I am afraid.

I am not sure it's easily possible with jsut changing the build steps.
At least as soon as it comes to debugging and such a bit of the core
functionality would need to be changed.

I guess nobody would mind if you investigated the possible options
a bit ;-)

Andre'