[Qt-creator] Migrating Qt Assistant bookmarks to new installed Qt version

Ernst Huber swmail01 at systest.ch
Thu May 21 22:09:25 CEST 2009

This is not directly related to Creator, but since most of the Creator
users will face the same problem when migrating to a new Creator version
I hope finding an answer through this mailing list.

My problem is quite simple: after installation of a new Qt version with
all the tools, the new Assistant installation doesn’t remember my
bookmarks collected with Assistant of the previous version. The
assistant manual explains how to use different help collections from the
command line with this parameter:

-collectionFile <file.qhc> // Uses the specified collection file instead
of the default one.

And it works when providing the help collection of the previous version.
I tested Qt Assistant with Qt 4.5.1 using the help collection of Qt
Assistant with Qt 4.5.0 like this:

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Username>assistant -collectionFile
"C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Username\Lokale
Einstellungen\Anwendungsdaten\Trolltech\Assistant\qthelpcollection_4.5.0.qhc"

But sooner or later I guess there will be troubles because with this
approach I’m bound to the Qt help of a specific version (thus not
allowing me to remove that older Qt version). Therefore I ask if there
is a better way to keep my bookmarks while at the same time being able
to always use the Qt help of the newest installed Qt version on my system.

Thanks for any reply.
Ernst