[Qt-creator] Antwort: Compile a single .cpp file?

Robert Caldecott robert.caldecott at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:20:26 CEST 2009

Until recently I lived in a Visual Studio world where the ability to
compile (and not link) a single .cpp file is something people have
grown used to.  Sometimes it's useful when working on a particularly
complicated class to check for any errors before building the entire
app.  I don't think this is too much to ask.  I think Qt Creator has a
real chance of being the 'new MFC' for a lot of C++ developers like
myself (who want to use a modern cross-platform C++ framework and have
no desire to learn .NET).  Remember back in the mid-90s when Borland
offered real competition to MS in the C++ development world?  Qt
Creator could be even better.  :)

I know this project is still in it's infancy (and it's an amazing
piece of work so far), and I wouldn't want the developers to simply
add all the functionality that Visual Studio has (because that
wouldn't be necessary) but there are few gaps that, if implemented,
would really make people like myself happy.  FWIW, they are (so far):

* The ability to compile a single .cpp file.
* Support for virtual folders in the Project view (so I can group my
headers, source, resources, etc. together).
* Integrated support for creating new unit test projects (and perhaps
even being able to add new tests, with the IDE adding the boiler-plate
code).
* Being able to add virtual functions to QObject-derived classes using
a UI (so it will add the method declaration/body to your code for
you).
* The ability to run command pre/post build (I have scripts that
generate version numbers for example).

Some people may feel these features are overkill, but from my POV (a
Windows developer) they would really add some shine to the product.