[Qt-creator] [Dev] Qt Creator Submit Policies

Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos nicolas.arnaud-cormos at kdab.com
Tue Nov 8 22:07:25 CET 2011

On Tuesday 08 November 2011 16:54:16 eike.ziller at nokia.com wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2011, at 11:48, ext Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos wrote:

> >> Sure, wip/clang will be made to follow whatever we decide on.
> >
> > We should probably move this discussion to the development mailing list,
> > as it is the same problem for Qt.
>
> I also grabbed Marius on IRC, and it looks like using "real" git branches
> was originally planned to be used for "feature branches" (as mentioned in
> http://wiki.qt-project.org/Branch_Guidelines) I suppose we'll find out if
> it scales / if we need something that scales better. Also, I've found out
> that the term "topic branch" is already used in gerrit for something
> different (== series of commits that belong together and should be
> reviewed as a whole). The term used for Qt seems to be "feature" branch,
> so I'd go for that term for the Qt Creator "submit policies" as well.
>
> So, trying to summarize :) we'd have the following:
>
> Feature branches are git branches starting with wip/* in mainline on
> gerrit. Restricted to work that the respective maintainer agreed on would
> be something that could be merged into master later (if it manages to come
> into sufficient state). Maintainer has final "control", also about when a
> topic branch is removed again (after merging, or if it goes stale).

Thanks for taking care of it.

So any feature that needs a lot of commits or cooperation between different
people, a new branch should be created. Only maintainer can create branches
(make sense).
Seems like a feature branch will need a maintainer to look at it, to accept
the commits. That's the only drawback I can see, as it would add more work to
maintainers, but at the same time it will ease the merge into master (since
the code will be already reviewed by a maintainer).

I don't expect tons of feature branches, it should be manageable.

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Arnaud-Cormos | nicolas.arnaud-cormos at kdab.com | Senior Software
Engineer