[Qt-creator] Message from the Qt Creator Team

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Fri Oct 21 14:15:15 CEST 2011

Hi,

today we have announced the Qt Project (http://qt-project.org/) and - along with it - the Open Governance process. This exciting news has a number of implications both short and long term that we would like to share with you:

1. Starting today, everyone can submit his features for direct review via Gerrit (http://codereview.qt-project.org). The process is described in the DevNet wiki: http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Gerrit_Introduction. We are excited about this possibility. It means that you can now contribute directly on an equal basis, and become a contributor according to the Open Government model (http://developer.qt.nokia.com/wiki/Qt_Governance_Model). We also want to encourage everyone to ask on the mailing list if you require further information for contributing a patch to Qt Creator.

2. If you want to commit to developing a broader feature under Open Governance and contribute it to Creator, we are now creating a public roadmap. Since 2.4 branch is closed, the next release to plan for will be 2.5. We will be collecting road mapping on a wiki page at DevNet.  Examples for things that should end up on the roadmap are:

  - new plugins (i.e. supporting a new build system, etc)
  - major changes to existing plugins
  - major overhaul of parts of the existing infrastructure

Every item that is relevant for the roadmap needs to be agreed on by either the current maintainer (if the change is for specific parts of Qt Creator) or the current Chief Maintainer (e.g. in case it's a new plugin). Erik Verbruggen will contribute the items that Nokia is committing to. The items on the list are indicative, but not mandatory. This means that if in time for feature freeze the majority of the code has not been landed in Git, it will skip the release. This helps us to release early & often. Center for discussion of features is this public mailing list, or rather, it's successor (qt-creator at qt-project.org). Until a major feature is not agreed on by either the maintainer or the Chief Maintainer, please do not put it on the Roadmap wiki.

3. For legal reasons, Nokia cannot provide binary nightly snapshots under the new Open Governance model. We will however make sure that the nightly build system gets transferred to the Qt Foundation or another Qt Creator Contributor. However, in the short term, there will be no binary snapshots of Qt Creator. We realize that not having the migration in place on day one is not ideal, but in the end delaying Open Governance even longer would have been a worse decision.

We hope you are as excited as we are. If you have questions regarding the process, please feel free to ask!

Eike Ziller (Chief Maintainer, Qt Creator, eike.ziller at nokia.com)
Erik Verbruggen (Qt Creator Product Manager, Nokia, erik.verbruggen at nokia.com)

On behalf of the Nokia Qt Creator Team