[Qt-creator] CMake builds vs qmake builds

Lincoln Ramsay lincoln.ramsay at nokia.com
Fri Apr 20 01:59:20 CEST 2012

On 04/20/2012 05:56 AM, ext André Pönitz wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 04:24:11PM +0300, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
>> [...] BTW:
>> Why does QtCreator refuse to make build directories under the source tree? It
>> pollutes my home dir... and in QMake it is supported (I am doing this for ages,
>> even under QtCreator).
>
> Because qmake traditionally does not like it in some corner cases.

Traditionally, qmake was much better at this than it is now. Or at least
it seemed to be.

> I am not even sure how the situation looks like nowadays precisely,
> but at a time it seemed easier to require builds on a "sibling level".

I have been bitten by bugs in the dependency generation code such that
some dependencies are not put into the Makefile when the SOURCE and
BUILD directories do not have the same number of slashes in them.

The directories don't need to be next to each other (as Creater likes to
do), just have the same number of slashes in their paths.

But anyway, I have not observed creator disallowing a build directory
under the source directory. You get a warning both when you first enter
the path to the build directory and every time you run qmake but other
than that, it works just fine. I did this just now with a Creator that
identifies itself as 2.5.81 (built from sha1 2d2aac992a).

If this (dis-allowing builds under source) is a new change that's gone
in recently, consider this a vote of "please revert".

--
Lincoln Ramsay - Senior Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia - http://qt.nokia.com/