[Qt-creator] Target refactoring

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sat Apr 21 12:49:01 CEST 2012

On 20.04.2012 15:31, tobias.hunger at nokia.com wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I wanted to take the time to explain what I am currently working on for post-2.5
> (targeting 2.6), hoping for some feedback...
>
> Note that all I describe here is work-in-progress(TM)!
>
> I am currently working on changing the target we have in Qt Creator. Since
> Targets were introduced they are used to group sets of build- and run
> configurations based on the platform a developer is targeting. I am currently
> changing this to have each Target in a project refer to one specific
> device/system configuration instead.
>
> To do so I am adding a "Profile", which is basically a collection of settings
> describing one Target. The list of settings can be extended by plugins
> (via ProfileInformation objects). This Profile currently contains:
>   * some data like a name, icon, etc.
>   * a system root (from ProjectExplorer plugin)
>   * a tool chain (from ProjectExplorer plugin)

I'm not sure if this fits into your redesign, but I've started [1] splitting up
"tool chain" into "tool chain" and "build system" because using
make/ninja/nmake/jom/scons/... is not completely defined by a specific tool chain.

Peter

[1]
https://qt.gitorious.org/qt-creator/syntheticpps-qt-creator/commit/74bb7730e0aab589db46cb6cf7c7d844500ef616/diffs/8083513305034cfe6cc8a651d7790789cbe947f2