[Qt-creator] Target refactoring

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Sun Apr 22 10:52:35 CEST 2012

On 22.04.2012 10:20, tobias.hunger at nokia.com wrote:
> Hi Peter!
>
> Great to see somebody working in that area:-)
>
> I am not sure having a "build system" is a necassary though since the "Project" already
> needs to know a lot about of details about the build system used. It needs to parse
> all the information we need to know out of the build system setup that defines the project
> after all. On the other hand you can argue that the project needs to understand the
> _configuration system_ used to decide which files belong to the project, which defines are
> used, etc. and not the low level _build system_ that actually decides which
> compiler/linker/moc/whatever calls are required to get the binaries you desire.
>
> So what do you want to archive with a new build system abstraction?

I wanted to add support for ninja, the 'make' replacement.
CMake now can generate ninja build files.

First I did it like it is done for jom, but this way looks like a hack,
so I tried to find a cleaner solution. As mentioned in the previous mail
the idea is to split out the code which defines the build command.

I also had a look at the qbs branch because supporting qbs and make
is similar support make/ninja but I only saw the same intermixing
of buildsystem/toolchain/makestep/project.

When the "Project" needs details about the build system we could add
an interface from which all the information could be get, it's better
than to hardcode all the details in several classes.

Maybe my proposal doesn't fit into the current design but maybe we
could find a solution which makes it strait forward to add a new
build system.

Peter