[Qt-creator] Using QtCreator without GCC installed, which toolchain to configure?

Diego Iastrubni diegoiast at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:44:23 CEST 2012

Hi Tobias,

I am trying to use QtCreator to *edit* code to be compiled using IAR
Embedded Workbench® for ARM (*). Compilation integration is trivial by
running a utility by this vendor (easy to setup in QtCreator). This is not
a supported compiler by Qt, and I am not compiling a Qt application (duh!).
They provide an IDE, but its a full piece of unusable shit. I actually
prefer coding under linux using QtCreator and then pushing code to a remote
git branch). Ah yes, we use git, and this IDE does not support GIT - which
makes my life harder.

The headers for this compiler are available in:
%PROGRAM FILES%\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 6.4\arm\inc\c
%PROGRAM FILES%\IAR Systems\Embedded Workbench 6.4\arm\inc\{board} (in my
case ST, but not relevant).

There are also some other pre-defined macros and intrinsic functions
defined when compiling using this compiler.

Regarding the error finding in the compilation output, lets assume that I
will get bored and do it myself (should not be that hard, might even be
fun). But this is not my problem:

I expected that the code model would work even without knowing the exact
toolchain. Ok, so it will not know what "open", "snprintf" and others. But
all my own classes and functions? As far I understand, those should be well
defined and known to the code parser right?

(/me will try using gcc as a toolchain and report again in a day or two).

(*) http://www.iar.com/en/Products/IAR-Embedded-Workbench/