[Qt-creator] fatal: Not a git repository when creating a new project

Harri Pasanen harri at mpaja.com
Fri Dec 14 09:14:18 CET 2012

A fairly minor issue I ran into, but could be confusing for newbies:

Creating a new Qt Console project from scratch, the wizard default to
"Add to version control (git)" for me.
I figured that it will create the .git repository for me, but no, I got:

08:58 Executing in /home/harri/test/untar: /usr/bin/git add
--intent-to-add main.cpp

Cannot add 1 file(s) to "/home/harri/test/untar": fatal: Not a git
repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

It did create the main.cpp and untar.pro before bailing out, the new
project was not opened.

This is with Kubuntu 12.04 amd64

Qt Creator 2.6.81

Based on Qt 4.8.1 (64 bit)