[Qt-creator] .xcodeproj plugin

Sergey Shambir sergey.shambir.auto at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 07:14:21 CET 2012

Great idea!

It will be really good feature, because plugin wip/clang branch brings
ObjectiveC support, precise parsing and live errors displaying:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/86213541/clang/ObjectiveC.png

QtCreator code has good quality and splitted into indepentent modules, that
simplifies development. New plugin should use ProjectExplorer plugin and
extend it's interfaces. Also look at wip/vcproj branch - there you can find
plugin for another alien project format. QXml can be used for read/write
*.pbxproj file that contains project settings.

There are list of possible features:
1) recognizing XCode project to create Run/Build configuration
automatically, without manually adding "Custom build step"
2) reading *.xcodeproj to feagure out a) C++ compiler flags, b) custom
macro defines, c) used compiler, d) custom includes search paths. This
information will help editor to parse C++ code properly.
3) automatical editing *.xcodeproj files on adding files/renaming, AFAIK
only qmake plugin has such level of integration.
4) editing *.xcodeproject with UI

About complexity:
1) easy, can be implemented by 1 person in week - not full-time, of course
;)
2) requires some research and more than 1 person to ensure good quality
3) same as 2)
4) most complex part, it requres research, much testing and active
maintaining after development will be finished

If you want to start work, i advice to create proof-of-concept first, and
than ask QtCreator team to create separate branch. Spend enought time on
research and testing. You also can try to attract new developers (after
proof-of-concept and branch will be created). I'm ready to join after
plugin skeleton will be done.