[Qt-creator] Qt Creator setting to open projects in new instance ?

Ed Sutton ESutton at fescorp.com
Fri Jan 20 15:37:04 CET 2012

Thank you for your help Daniel.

- Under CentOS 5.3, double-clicking a Qt project opened a new Qt Creator instance which is the default behavior I expected.
- Under Vista, double-clicking a *.pro project file displays a Qt dialog behaving as if it had been launched with the --client option.  The dialog says:

"Could not send message"
"Unable to send command line arguments to the already running instance.
It appears to be not responding.  DO you want to start a new instance of Creator?"
"Yes, Retry, No"

At the time the dialog is displayed,  the project had already been added to my previous instance of Qt Creator. Answering Yes will start a second instance but now I will have the same project open in the original instance *and* the new instance.

Hopefully whatever I did to solve this issue under 2.4 RC will come back to me.  As a work-around, I can launch the second instance of Qt Creator from my desktop shortcut which always creates a new instance and then manually load the project into this new instance.

Thanks again,

-Ed