[Qt-creator] Show sidebar to the right in edit mode (patch)

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Wed Jun 20 12:25:44 CEST 2012

On 20 Jun 2012, at 11:58, ext Ivan Tsybankov wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 June 2012 11:44:48 you wrote:
>

>>> I guess I think that patching something in this way when we intend to
>>> change the behavior more generally doesn't seem like a good investment.
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 6:56 AM, Ivan Tsybankov <tvano at mail.ru> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I've recently tried to use qt creator in dual-monitor (5:4) configuration
>>> and found that default placement of sidebar is inconvenient since it
>>> either partly moves the code to another screen or just leaves too little
>>> space for the code on the first screen
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised about that, usually projects have rules like maximal
>> line width which reduces the usefulness of VeryWideEditors(tm). (And
>> others set the editor to wrap lines, like vim.) Or are you using the
>> "split" functionality? In that case I suppose something like the patch
>> that Konstantin pointed out goes into the right direction, though it would
>> need to be a more integrated solution for "ripping" out whole editor views
>> (incl. the editor combo box, editor tool bar, notification areas, and the
>> editor manager knowing about it).
>>
>> Br, Eike
>>

> What I actually want is to be able to display primary editor with bottom
> panels on the left screen and auxiliary information (project/class tree and
> probably context help window) on the right screen because there isn't enough
> screen width for editor and opened sidebar (wide enough to fit a class tree
> without horizontal scrolling) on a non-widescreen monitor.
> For now the solution looks like "move sidebar to the right and stretch qt
> creator window to be partially on second monitor".
> Probably sidebar can be moved to a separate external using the same trick as
> Konstantin.

It would maybe possible to do something similar to debug & design mode also for output pane widget, navigation side bar and the context help window. It would need some rethinking/redesign of how these parts are handled though, because at the moment there isn't a single layout where these widgets are in (the modes add areas for them to their own layout, and the widgets are then relocated to the mode's layout when the mode becomes visible).
And for the output panes the buttons that are in the toplevel window's status bar would need special handling too.

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori