[Qt-creator] Expect trouble with master: wip/profile branch integrated!

tobias.hunger at nokia.com tobias.hunger at nokia.com
Thu Jun 21 12:16:38 CEST 2012

Hello Everybody!

!DO EXPECT TROUBLE WHEN USING QT CREATOR FROM THE MASTER BRANCH!

I just integrated the wip/profile branch I have been working on for a while into master of
Qt Creator. Please do expect trouble with that branch till we manage to find and fix any
issues this heavy refactoring did introduce!

If you rely on having a stable Qt Creator master build, then please stick with the following
SHA for the time:
8c77b8c9d7b25d0c89003c8c4a54e8da5bfb7edd

Note: I have been actively using the wip/profile branch for the last couple of weeks, but I did
quite a few changes all over Qt Creator, so I fully expect that I broke something that I have not
yet noticed. Getting these things ironed out way before the feature freeze is the motivation for
integrating the branch now.

What does this branch change?
=======================

Going to Tools->Options->Build & Run you will notice a new Tab called "Targets". Here you
will need to define the targets you want to use. For now that is a manual process, but we want
to have the SDK installer do the heavy lifting in the future so that you should not need to touch
this if you are happy with what the SDK provides.

These targets are a set of values that define one environment (a device, Qt version, tool chain, etc.),
plus a bit of meta data like icon and name. Once you have your targets defined you can then use
them in your projects. So you have one global place to define your target environments and can then
reuse them in all projects.

That is the difference you should notice as a user. Internally quite a bit of our code was simplified
and some components should be easier to reuse now. The total code size also shrunk by ~1900 lines.

What will break?
============

I know for a fact that the following areas will need some more work to be fully functional again:
* Android plugin: I need competent Android help here!
* Meego: Same here!
* Symbian publishing is disabled for now.
* Project Mode UI needs changes to not overflow when using a large number of targets in one
  project
* There will most likely be places where the UI will not correctly respond to changes
* There will be crashes. There currently are no crashes I know about, but I will not be surprised
  to get reports on some.

What should I do when I do want to help testing this?
=====================================

Please build the master branch and give it a spin. Report any issues you run into and/or
send in patches to fix things;-) Binaries should be available starting tomorrow at
http://builds.qt-project.org/ .

Before starting make sure you GOT BACKUPS of your Qt Creator configuration as well as any
.user files you want to test with.

After starting: Please go to Tools->Options->Build & Run and make sure all the Qt versions,
tool chains are as they were before and then proceed to check the Targets page. You should
have one "Desktop" target with all the settings we picked up from your PATH.

If this looks fine, then please open some of your projects. Targets should be added automatically
if any are not defined yet. Please check project mode: Are all settings as you expected them?
Please also check the newly added targets: Are those as expected (note: The device will most likely
stay unset, but the device type should match what you are using)?

Try working with your project and report anything out of the ordinary you notice.

What should I do when something breaks for me?
=================================

Please write a bug report against Qt Creator (build system component) on
https://bugreports.qt-project.org/ and assign it over to me. Thank you!

To repeat myself:

!DO EXPECT TROUBLE WHEN USING QT CREATOR FROM THE MASTER BRANCH!

Best Regards,
Tobias

Tobias Hunger
Software Engineer
Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori