[Qt-creator] remote compile on a Linux server

Lincoln Ramsay lincoln.ramsay at nokia.com
Fri Jun 29 01:30:58 CEST 2012

On 06/28/2012 12:20 PM, ext Mohammad Mirzadeh wrote:
> Is it possible to select toolchains from a remote server inside Qt
> Creator?

 From what I've seen, the answer is "no".

> I have mounted my remote server so that I can locally open the
> files with Creator and edit them, I was just wondering if it would also
> be possible to compile them?

There should be ways to implement this. Creator can do remote compiles
(eg. compiling Symbian apps on Mac uses this) but this doesn't seem to
be presented in a generic way.

You could define a new "toolchain" on your local machine made up of a
bunch of shell scripts that do something like this:

(for gcc, g++, etc.)
#!/bin/sh
exec ssh othermachine cd $PWD '&&' $0 "$@"

You'd need to make sure that the ssh connection could go through without
a password. This may also break some things because there won't be a
terminal for the remote process (so eg. colour output won't work).

--
Lincoln Ramsay - Senior Software Engineer
Qt Development Frameworks, Nokia - http://qt.nokia.com/