[Qt-creator] Generating .pro file from a Makefile?

Murphy, Sean M. sean.murphy at gd-ais.com
Thu Mar 15 17:06:19 CET 2012

> I believe you may find some use of the Generic Project template, which
> will allow you to use your Makefile as-is and store non-build project
> settings in a separate file.

So let me see if I'm following you correctly:

  1. I already have an existing directory structure with .h, .c files
     and a working Makefile.
  2. I launch Qt Creator, and choose "Create Project..."
  3. From the project type pane, I choose "Other Project", then choose
     "Plain C Project"?
  4. I walk through the remainder of the project creation wizard, but
     don't see anywhere to populate the project from a Makefile
  5. Not sure what to do next...

When I run through the project creation wizard, I don't see anywhere to tell it to parse the existing Makefile to bring in all the .h & .c files into my project.  So once I get out of the project creation wizard, it has left me with a .pro file that has one entry, a main.c that I didn't actually want.  Then it appears that I have to add all the existing files manually.

So it wasn't too bad creating it this way, I just wondered if there was a cleaner way to do it.  One problem I do see with how I have it currently, is that my Qt project has no knowledge of what all the other stuff included in the Makefile (other include directories, etc.), so I actually need to manually go through and add all that stuff too, it appears?

Sean