[Qt-creator] Qt Creator and CMake

Daniel Teske daniel.teske at nokia.com
Wed Mar 28 12:11:07 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 27 Mar 2012 22:03:32 ext Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> 13.02.2012, 16:13, "Daniel Teske" <daniel.teske at nokia.com>:
> > On Monday 13 Feb 2012 11:21:55 ext Konstantin Tokarev wrote:
> >>  Hi Qt Creator developers,
> >>
> >>  From organizational point of view, if one contributes to Qt Creator
> >>  alternative version of CMake build system plugin with better
> >> integration quality but at a price of static linking to CMakeLib
> >> (increasing binary size on ~7 Mb), will it have a chance to be accepted
> >> into mainline?
> >
> > Well, I'd like to have qt creator not depend on having the cmake sources
> > available. That's not unsolveable.
> >
> > If those 7 MB are for a release build, then yes that would be a problem,
> > as that is more then double the size of the biggest plugin now.
>
> Hi Daniel,
>
> I have working CMakeLib-based fork of CMakeProjectManager. Total size of
> plugin with statically linked CMakeLib is 3.5 M (on Linux).

That's great, that size sounds reasonable. What did you do to reduce the size
that much?

> It runs CMake's configure function in a background thread with nice
> progress bar (like with QMake) and provides some other benefits as
> compared with original plugin:
> * Defines
> * No intermediate Code::Blocks project is generated
> * Direct access to cache variables through CMake API instead of manual
> cache file parsing in old plugin
> * CMake re-parsing runs in background thread (with progress bar) and
> doesn't block GUI
> * (planned) cmake-gui style cache variable configuration on project
> settings page
That sounds good.

> So, what can you propose to overcome dependency on CMake sources?
I think I stated, that the requirement is merely that Qt Creator is
compileable without having the cmake sources. Currently Qt Creator has no
dependencies apart from qt, and we'd like to keep that this way.

That leaves as options:
a) Import the cmake-lib sources as 3rd party sources and regulary update them
b) Skip the cmake plugin if there are no cmake sources available

Which of them is more pratical, I don't know. It's more or less up to you.

daniel