[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Mon May 28 17:21:19 CEST 2012

On Montag 28 Mai 2012, Vojtěch Král wrote:
> Hi,
>    just some thoughts...
>
> On 2012-05-28 06:48, Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> > If an ide needs another build-system, I expect, that it offers enuf
> > wizzards/dialogs, that I can manage the build without having to learn
> > the
> > build suite.
>
> This is quite a wrong assumption in case of QtCreator + CMake.

OK, you're completely right.

If qmake is the preferred build suite for QtCreator, that's fine. Let's use it.
I don't mind.

So is there an option where I can migrate a cmake project to qmake?
Or just import a cmake-project as new qmake project?
Or possibly import a netbeans project into a qmake project?

I don't and won't care about the build system, as long as it works and
supports fine grained compiler switches ...

> Also, let me make a general observation here.
>
> You seem to use quite a lot of diverse tools. Netbeans, Eclipse, Ant...
>
> If you like Ant, why don't you stick to it? Why do you bother learning
> how to work with CMake and/or QtC?

Cause the project is not my project.

I'm a java developer by belief and my projects will of cause be java projects.
Actually I'd like to contribute to a C++ project, so I have to learn the
language and use some tools that help me on that challenge.

The original build suite of the project is Makefile and has a professional
supporter.

To learn the project, I cut little pieces and work on improvements. But that
I'll do in a sandbox, where I copy files and don't care for the build-system.

Before I started to try QtCreator, I had my sandbox project as Makefile set
built by netbeans and as cmake project built by kdevelop. So I only wanted
QtCreator take something already working and continue with that.
If there's an import wizard or something similar, I'm willing to change to use
qmake.

> As far as I know, NetBeans and Ant do support C++ don't they?

May be you took me wrong.

I did not ask for help.

I just wanted to give feedback on how to improve QtCreator.

If you're interested in that discussion, we can continue to write.
If not - I can also shut up my mouth.

I have no problem with development. I know to go my way.
I just was impressed by QtCreator and as I believe, that feedback is important
for improvement, I started to write.

regards

Gero