[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

andre.poenitz at nokia.com andre.poenitz at nokia.com
Tue May 29 15:44:54 CEST 2012

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez wrote:
> In the meantime I debugged a bit with QtCreator and even as I'm no friend of
> kdevelop, I have to state, that the var-section from kdeveloper is much
> better, than the one from QtCreator.
> Especially the handling of static buffer is great in kdevelop. If you have a
> char buf[2000] and hit the + infront of the buffer, you don't see any other var
> in QtCreator.

Why do you expand a char[2000] if you don't want to inspect the children?

If you want to see it's contents as, say Latin1 string, you can go to
the context menu and select "Change Local Display Format", and
set it to "Latin1", either for all char[], or for this particular instance.

> Kdevelop shows only a chunk of 4 elements, and offers the choice
> to extend the visual part. That's really useful, so you don't loose the
> overview.

I am afraid this "feature" is more a stop-gap measure orginating from
the fact that creating a non-trivial amount of container items can take
an arbitrary amount of time when using gdb's "varobj".

> I also like the point, that char pointers show the first element as hex and
> decimal (below the string). That's really helpful, especially to get rid of
> whitespace in buffer.
> May be you could enhance the representation of static buffers and show the
> string for char[n] the same way as for char*

See above. Select the format you want.

> Another option to enhance var section would be a detail section like in
> eclipse, where each var is shown in detail, if it is selected by cursor. That
> way you can leave the vars collapsed and inspect the details by walking with
> the cursor.

I am afraid I don't know what you mean. Text cursor? Mouse cursor?
Is "details" something you get as a tooltip? What kind of variables are expanded?

Andre'