[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Thu May 31 06:24:31 CEST 2012

On Mittwoch 30 Mai 2012, André Pönitz wrote:

> How do you find out whether a version of gdb is usable, or not?

Well, either by excessive testing (in java you'd used unit tests), or by
feedback like error reports.
But if there's a problem with certain debugger, you always have to decide,
whether to patch QtCreator or stop support for that debugger variant.
No matter, what you decide, after all it is a human decision and can for so be
acted on properly.

> How do you find out which exact version any given build of gdb has? Which
> features this build theoretically supports? Which features work in
> practice?

Sorry, but you're not straight in your argumentation.

Some mails before you stated, that you stopped gdb-support for version below
7.2 ...
so where's the problem to check just 2 numbers and don't care for distribution
extension? If you'd like to support all working variants, you could use a
version-blacklist of variants, that are known not to work.

For me, your statement about gdb-support sounded as a human decision, not a
machine-decision. There should be no problem to code human decisions.

> [First hint: the version string is free text. Distributions put all kind of
> more or less interesting information there.

Parsing for dummies?
Everything you read from external tools is text. So it's up to you, how much
intelligence you put in your parser.

kind regards

Gero