[Qt-creator] Some thoughts about 2.5

Geronimo Ma. Hernandez geronimo013 at gmx.com
Thu May 31 06:55:44 CEST 2012

On Donnerstag 31 Mai 2012, Konstantin Tokarev wrote:

> That completely reverses requirements for build process: you should
> 1) Design build system of your project meeting all requirements
> 2) Adopt it for work with your favorite IDE (Qt Creator, NetBeans, Vim,
> Emacs, etc.)

Well, as a user, I think different - completely!

The first point might be true, but any IDE that requires me to perform the
second point, I would not spent the time to bother with that ide.
There are lots of IDE that handle step 2 internally and the user can finetune
the build process by using gui-dialogs.

That's where I like the way of netbeans (c++) support.

As a user, you don't have the care about the complexity of the used makefile
structure or how netbeans handles any build tasks.
You have the possibility to enter any compiler switch and any library your
build depends on. From users point of view - is there anything else that
matters?
Some major compiler options are supported by gui-tab-pages, the rest you can
enter in a textfield called "misc options". So the ide does not even need to
know anything about the entered options.

For me, netbeans c++ build-settings is an excellent sample of hiding the
complexity of any build-system and offer the user an easy to use interface to
handle the build task.
Additionally netbeans uses a 'private' directory structure for the build and
does not vomit all generated build-help-files between the sources. Well done!

kind regards

Gero