[Qt-creator] Qt Creator 2.6.0 released

Christian Kandeler christian.kandeler at digia.com
Fri Nov 9 09:24:42 CET 2012

On 11/09/2012 01:51 AM, Mohammad Mirzadeh wrote:
> Anyhow, I just jumped into 2.6 from 2.5
> and found the "kit" feature! There is this option to select a remote
> linux device. How does this work? Does qtcreator compile on the host and
> transfer the binary to the remote device to run?

Yes. Note that this feature is not tied to the Kits concept and has been
in 2.5 already. If the target device is not entirely the same as the
host system, you obviously need a cross toolchain for this to work.

> What happens if there are dependencies such as shared libraries?

You mean system libraries? They have to be in your sysroot and on the
device, obviously. Pretty much the same as for local compilation (where
"sysroot" and "device" both correspond to your local root directory). If
you are talking about libraries of your own, you'll have to deploy them
as well.

> I cannot get it to work anyway since its always complaining that "there
> is nothing to run!". What am I doing wrong?

Hard to say without further details. I'd guess you have no INSTALLS list
in your project file. In case you only have an executable to deploy, the
relevant snippet looks like this:
     target.path = /usr/local/bin   # Or whatever.
     INSTALLS += target

> A semi-related question: Is there any plan to add a "remote-editing"
> support? By that I mean use qtcreator to connect to a remote linux
> device to open projects and compile and run __on the remote device __ ?

Would be neat, eh? Though I'd assume the assumption that we are dealing
with local files is all over the place, so that would definitely take
quite some effort. We'd also have to support different back-ends for
remote access (or at least have an interface that allows for that).

> Right now I mount the remote device to be able to edit files. Problem is
> qtcreator cannot resolve relative path in this case (for obvious reasons).

Don't you mean absolute files?

Christian