[Qt-creator] Is MSVC on Windows supported?

Peter Kümmel syntheticpp at gmx.net
Wed Sep 5 14:16:05 CEST 2012

On 05.09.2012 13:24, Joerg Bornemann wrote:
> On 05/09/2012 12:50, ext Peter Kümmel wrote:
>
>> MinGW will have a rise because MS again has the worst C++ support,
>> MSVC2012 is a joke.
>
> Yes with MSVC's lacking C++ features MinGW clearly has a chance to
> become *the* C++ toolchain on Windows but at the moment it's really
> crappy. There are of course use cases where MinGW is a good choice but
> for building Qt applications I see no reason to use it.
>
>>> Yeah this looks wrong. Note the e: in the middle of the path.
>>> You're not trying to build Qt Creator with MSVC using a MinGW Qt, do you?
>>
>> It builds and links a lot before it breaks.
>
> Not really helpful.
> This is what I do to build Qt Creator using MSVC 2008 and Qt 4.8:
>
> (Qt Creator source is in .\creator, build dir is .\creator-build)
>
> cd .\creator-build
> qmake -r ..\creator
> jom (or maybe jom release)

Same here, but with a fresh qt/4.8 build

Error: dependent '..\..\..\qt-creator\src\plugins\coreplugin\Core.pluginspec' does not exist.

It's not a multithread problem also nmake/fom -j1 fails.

Seems I was too optimistic about 4.8.3, which also doesn't build without fiddling
(cd src && jom && cd .. && jom)