[Qt-creator] [Dev] Testing list of installed files

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Fri Sep 7 10:50:49 CEST 2012

I would find it very helpful for the release process if we had a (auto-) test that checks the list of files that will end up in the package.

It would not catch files missing in the list of installed files that were not there before but now should, but it would make changes in the list of installed files a conscious decision. We have precedences for that kind of issues in our release history, though some that I remember would *probably* no longer happen (like accidentally shipping lots of object files or other intermediate build files).

Since we've changed the package creation process to use no fancy internal scripts anymore (you can generate deployable 7zip by just running some "make" targets which then run the necessary commands), this should be easily possible to implement nowadays.

Could be done the following way:

1) generate the initial list of installed files, save in a file, and check it into the Qt Creator repository
2) add a script that checks a directory hierarchy against the files in the list that is checked into the repository and prints out fat warnings of removed/added files
3) create a make target that depends on the corresponding install steps (depending on platform) and then runs the script from 2)

Meaning that whenever the list of installed files is changed on purpose, the file list in the repository must be updated.
Could also be used to check the qbs build against the qmake build.

Opinions, comments, ideas?

--
Eike Ziller
Principal Software Engineer

Nokia, Qt Development Frameworks

Nokia gate5 GmbH
Firmensitz: Invalidenstr. 117, 10115 Berlin, Germany
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg, Berlin: HRB 106443 B
Umsatzsteueridentifikationsnummer: DE 812 845 193
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Halbherr, Karim Tähtivuori