[Qt-creator] Kits in QtCreator 2.6

eike.ziller at nokia.com eike.ziller at nokia.com
Wed Sep 12 11:36:41 CEST 2012

On 11 Sep 2012, at 17:30, ext Diego Iastrubni <diegoiast at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> I just updated my local build of QtCreator and found that the build
> process has been split into "kits". My random thoughts:
>
> * I understand the need for this, but IMHO... way too complicated. Or
> lack of defaults.
> * From now on, you need to specify the full path for cmake on linux. WHY?
> * When adding a new kit, the first step is adding a compiler. When
> adding a new compiler, the GUI is smart enough to fill in the arch
> details when you choose a full path... but IMHO you can even guess the
> full path in Linux (on windows you might have some other defaults like
> c:\mingw\bin, and %PROGRAMFILES%\intel\icc\whatever).
> * The next step in choosing a kit is to choose a Qt version. Again on
> unix, this can  be guessed.

> * The next step is to choose a "kit" - a combination of compiler+qt.
> Nice touch, again complicated, but nice.

Don't quite know what you mean with that (i.e. with "The next step …". choosing a kit is certainly not a step in adding a new kit)

> * My problem with this workflow is that I needed to go from the
> rightmost tab (the compiler), press "apply" and only then move a tab
> to the next left tab.

I agree, the necessity for "apply" in between is ugly and stupid.

> "It was hard to get for a minute, why everything
> is ok... but I still cannot compile...?"
> * A reset button for this whole thing would be nice: delete
> everything, and detect whatever is possible.

A way to add a Kit with simply all defaults from your PATH would be beneficial.
Like it is done the first time you start Qt Creator.