[Qt-creator] Kits in QtCreator 2.6

Coda Highland chighland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 18:08:40 CEST 2012

>>> * You still default to build using a single process. IMHO you can
>>> detect the number of processors and execute add "-j $CPU" to the make
>>> command arguments.
>>
>> Using parellel build or not is something a developer should decide IMHO. There
>> are enough build systems out there that can not cope with that (getting fewer thanks
>> to multi-core systems:-).
>
> QtCreator supports cmake and qmake. Both support for multi-process
> compilations. If someone is using a stand alone Makefile (I did for a
> year on another non Qt related project, so from the user point of view
> I really know how QtCreator behaves), he will have to know what he is
> doing, lets ignore this scenario.
>
> Again - when using cmake/qmake: please add the default parameters to
> make. This makes compilation 4-8 time faster.

qmake does NOT support parallel build. qmake is just a makefile
generator. make does, and jom does, but those aren't the only two
targets qmake supports. And in the case of generic external Makefiles,
defaulting to parallel build isn't always a good idea anyway, as there
are the occasional makefiles you'll come across that don't have their
dependency chains set up right.

Then there's the question of HOW MANY parallel processes to run.
#cores? #cores+1? #cores*2? 64 because you're connected to a distcc
farm?

So I agree with Tobias: If you want parallel build, the developer
should choose it. Trying to guess at a default is going to be wrong
far too often.

/s/ Adam